The Book Club Cookbook:
Recipes and Food for Thought from Your Book Club’s
Favorite Books and Authors
Whether it’s Roman Punch for The Age of Innocence, Sabzi Challow (spinach and rice) with Lamb for The Kite Runner, or Swedish Meatballs and Glögg for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, nothing spices up a book club meeting like great eats. Featuring recipes and discussion ideas from best-selling authors and book clubs across the country, this fully revised and updated edition of the classic book guides readers in selecting and preparing culinary masterpieces that blend perfectly with the literary masterpieces their club is reading. This edition includes new contributions from a host of today’s bestselling authors including:
- Kathryn Stockett, The Help (Demetrie’s Chocolate Pie and Caramel Cake)
- Sara Gruen, Water for Elephants (Oyster Brie Soup)
- Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper (Brian Fitzgerald’s Firehouse Marinara Sauce)
- Abraham Verghese, Cutting for Stone (Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wot and Sister Mary Joseph Praise’s Cari De Dal)
- Annie Barrows, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
(Annie Barrows’s Potato Peel Pie and Non-Occupied Potato Peel Pie)
- Lisa See, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See’s Deep Fried Sugared Taro)
The Book Club Cookbook will add real flavor to your meetings!
Buy The Book Club Cookbook:
Reading Ideas, Recipes, Activities, and Smart Tips
for Organizing Terrific Kids’ Book Clubs
The first complete guide (for adults and kids!) to creating fun and educational book clubs for kids.
From recipes for the Dump Punch and egg salad sandwiches featured in Kate DiCamillo’s Because of Winn-Dixie to instructions on how to make soap carvings like the ones left in the knothole of a tree in Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird, The Kids’ Book Club Book provides a bounty of ideas for making every kids’ book club a success. As authors of The Book Club Cookbook, the classic guide to integrating great food and food-related discussion into book club gatherings, Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp had heard a common refrain from parents, librarians, teachers, and community leaders: “How about writing the ultimate guide to creating kids’ book clubs?” With this book, they’ve fulfilled the request.
Based on surveys representing 500 youth book clubs across the country and interviews with the parents, educators, librarians and kids themselves who have launched successful clubs, The Kids’ Book Club Book features:
- the top fifty favorite book club reads for children ages 8 to 18;
- ideas and advice on forming great kids’ book clubs;
- recipes, activities, and insights from bestselling children’s book authors Christopher Paolini, Lois Lowry, Jerry Spinelli, Nancy Farmer, Christopher Paul Curtis, Andrew Clements, Pam Munoz Ryan and Walter Dean Myers, and many others.
The Kids’ Book Club Book is a must-have for kids who love to read—and the adults who want to encourage and support them.
Buy The Kids’ Book Club Book:
From Breakfast with Anita Diamant to Dessert with
James Patterson – a Generous Helping of Recipes,Writings,
and Insights from Today’s Bestselling Authors (Adams, 2010)
Have you ever wished you could enjoy an Italian dinner with Frances Mayes? Or swap recipes with Jacquelyn Mitchard? It’s all possible in this unique cookbook that features recipes drawn from the works of today’s bestselling authors, along with intimate insights that help bring their most beloved books to life.
The delectable recipes featured in this bibliophile’s cookbook include:
- Lisa See’s Won Tons from Peony in Love
- Abraham Verghese’s Doro Wot (Chicken Curry) from Cutting for Stone
- Chris Cleave’s Post-Colonial Pie from Little Bee
- Tom Perrotta’s Minestrone Soup from Little Children
- Elinor Lipman’s Veal Marengo from The Ladies’ Man
- Janice Y. K. Lee’s Indonesian Ginger Chicken from The Piano Teacher
- Sara Gruen’s Salmon en Croute with Hollandaise Sauce from Ape House
- Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus’s Plum Torte from The Nanny Diaries
- Lisa Genova’s White Chocolate Challah Pudding Raspberry Sauce from Still Alice
And much, much more! With more than 100 dishes and drinks created by fifty of today’s brightest writers, this cookbook will become a feast for your mind–and your soul!