Beyond Happiness: Omi’s Orange Pound Cake from Jennifer Guttman
For the cake
For the icing
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 medium oranges, washed and dried
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour a 10-1/4 x 5-1/4 inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Grate the zest from one orange, and set aside. Peel the second orange, separating orange zest from the white pith with a paring knife (this step is crucial to prevent any bitter flavor) Chop the zest in small pieces.
- With mortar and pestle, or in a small food processor, grind zest with ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, until the zest is finely ground and no longer visible. Juice both oranges, reserving juice for the icing.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and softened butter.
- With an electric mixer, cream the mixture together until it becomes pale and fluffy. With a whisk, add eggs one at a time, whisking until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract and grated orange zest. Gently stir in the sifted flour and baking powder until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely, and remove from pan.
- To make the icing: place powdered sugar and orange juice in a medium bowl and stir to combine. You can add additional juice for a thinner glaze. Drizzle the icing over the cake once it has cooled.