The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue: V.E. Schwab’s The Night’s Lament Cocktail
- Demerara sugar, for rimming the glass
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1 ounce Cognac
- 4-6 ounces Champagne
- A single rose petal. Red if made for a current lover. White if made for an ex-love.
- Chill a martini glass or champagne coupe.
- Pour sugar onto a shallow plate wider than the rim of the glass. The sugar should be 1/4 high and wider than the glass rim. Pour water into a small saucer wider than the glass rim. Dip the rim in the water, and then in the sugar.
- Pour Cointreau and Cognac in a shaker filled with ice, and shake until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into chilled glass.
- Top with champagne. Float a rose petal on the cocktail.