Diane Chamberlain’s Gold Nugget Cake
Diane Chamberlains' book club recipe for Gold Nugget Cake, inspired by her novel BIG LIES IN A SMALL TOWN. Recipe adapted from Familycookbookproject.com.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2–3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
To make the cake
- Heat oven to 375° F. Grease and flour 2 8-inch circular cake pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder,and salt together into a large bowl.
- Place mashed bananas in a small bowl and add sour milk or buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter or shortening with sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add dry and wet ingredients alternately to batter in small quantities, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cakes are golden and spring back when pressed. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Invert cakes onto plates.
To make the frosting
- In the bowl of a large mixer, cream together butter, mashed bananas, lemon juice, and vanilla. Slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar, adding more if needed to make a fluffy, spreadable frosting.
To assemble cake:
- Spread frosting over the top of the first cake. Top with sliced bananas. Place the second cake on top, and frost sides and top of cake. Garnish with sliced bananas.
Keywords: Banana Cake, Cake