Jenna Blum’s “The Woodrow Cocktail”
from WOODROW ON THE BENCH: Life Lessons from a Wise Old Dog
The Woodrow Cocktail
A maple-bacon-bourbon cocktail in honor of Woodrow, author Jenna Blum's beloved Lab, and the subject of her memoir, WOODROW ON THE BENCH: Life Lessons from a Wise Old Dog. Woodrow was the ultimate gentleman and loved a cocktail party!
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 1 minute
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
For rimming the glass
- Turbinado or maple sugar and kosher salt (or salt of your choice)
- Maple syrup or agave syrup
For the cocktail
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1–2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 candied bacon swizzle stick (see recipe)
- 1 orange rind, for garnish
For the candied bacon swizzle sticks
- 1/2 pound bacon slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cup brown sugar
To make the cocktail
- Rim the glass: Mix equal parts sugar and salt on a small plate. Moisten a rocks glass rim with syrup and dip in the mixture to lightly coat.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add bourbon, bitters, maple simple syrup, and orange slice; shake until well combined.
- Add ice to the glass. Strain mixture into the glass. Add bacon swizzle stick and garnish with orange rind.
To make the candied bacon swizzle sticks
- Heat oven to 400 F° Place a wire rack on a foil-lined baking sheet. Mix pepper and brown sugar in a large bowl Add bacon slices and toss to coat. Place bacon slices on the rack. Bake for 20 minutes or until the sugar has glazed the bacon, and the bacon is crisp. Remove from the oven. Cool to room temperature.
Keywords: Cocktail, Maple Bacon Cocktail, The Woodrow Cocktail
Also see Jenna Blum’s recipes:
The Lost Family
The Lost Family Supper Club