Mary Kay Andrews: The Newcomer Prosecco Sippers (Shark Bites)
I wanted deliciously beachy, no-fuss recipes that could be served poolside, packed into a cooler for the beach, or beautifully arrayed on a hostess’s table for your The Newcomer book club gathering (see menu).
My book club besties usually bring LOTS of wine to our gatherings, but why not surprise everyone with a fun twist on the Prosecco Sippers from my Beach House Cookbook? Use frozen or fresh strawberries and raspberries instead of peaches, and macerate with a little sugar to transform this cocktail into an entirely new creation I call Pink Shark Bites—a fun reference to the sharks—real and symbolic, that seem to be circling our heroine Letty.
-Mary Kay Andrews
THE NEWCOMER Prosecco Sippers
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh fruit such as peaches or berries
- Thinly sliced lemons
- Fresh herb sprigs, such as mint, basil and lemon balm
- 1 (750 ml) bottle prosecco
- Combine sugar with 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, and cook until sugar dissolves. Let cool.
- For each drink, pour about 1 tablespoon of sugar syrup into an old-fashioned glass, and add the desired amount of chopped fruit. Mash with a muddler or wooden spoon. Add a lemon slice and herb sprig, and muddle. Top with ice cubes and prosecco, and serve.