Rachel Hawkins: “The Reckless Girls” Punch Recipe
“The Reckless Girl” aka The Artist Formerly Known as Danger Punch recipe is so reckless that I only make it once or twice a year, and then only for the Most Special of Occasions, i.e. It’s That One Day In The South Where It’s Hot, But Not Too Hot. I am sure the characters in Reckless Girls would have appreciated this punch, but given how things go for them once they hit Meroe Island, maybe it’s best that they didn’t have any on hand.
The Reckless Girl (aka The Artist Formerly Known as Danger) Punch
Rachel Hawkins shares her Reckless Girls Punch, the perfect accompaniment to a discussion of her thriller, RECKLESS GIRLS.
- 1-2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1-2 cups cubed pineapple
- 1 orange, sliced (see note)
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 1 750 ml bottle dry white or rosé wine
- 1/2 cup pineapple vodka
- A few shots coconut rum, optional
- Simple syrup or rose grenadine, optional
- Club soda
- Combine watermelon, pineapple and orange slices in a large pitcher. Add mint, then pour in wine and stir. Add pineapple vodka and stir.
- If you’re feeling extra reckless, you can add in a few shots of coconut rum, and if you like things a little on the sweeter side, add simple syrup or rose grenadine to taste.
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight. Serve over ice with plenty of the fruit and top with club soda.
Note: Feel free to use any other fruit you really like, or throw in some strawberries, raspberries, lime instead of- or in addition to!- the orange. “(Reckless” is right there in the name, after all)!