|Stephanie Thornton Plymale’s Herb-Roasted Cornish Game Hens|
Stephanie Thornton Plymale’s Herb-Roasted Cornish Game Hens
A recipe for the Cornish Game Hens Stephanie Thornton Plymale prepares for Christmas to accompany her memoir, AMERICAN DAUGHTER. Recipe adapted from TheSpruceEats.com.
- 3 Cornish game hens, livers and gizzards removed and rinsed
- 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 large sprigs rosemary, fresh
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard, coarse-grained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fines herbes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Cornish hens in a large ovenproof baking dish.
Place one 1 clove garlic, 1 rosemary sprig, and several shallot quarters into the cavity of each game hen. Rub ½ teaspoon salt into the cavity of each hen.
In a small bowl, combine mustards, fine herbes, paprika, fennel seed, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and whisk thoroughly. Coat hens thoroughly with the mixture.
Place hens in oven and roast for 75 minutes. Check temperature at thickest part of thigh, away from the bone, it should be at least 165°F. Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes before serving. Enjoy!