|Stephanie Thornton Plymale’s Herb-Roasted Cornish Game Hens|
Stephanie Thornton Plymale’s Herb-Roasted Cornish Game Hens
A recipe for the Cornish Game Hens Stephanie Thornton Plymale prepares for Christmas to accompany her memoir, AMERICAN DAUGHTER. Recipe adapted from TheSpruceEats.com.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- 3 Cornish game hens, livers and gizzards removed and rinsed
- 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 large sprigs rosemary, fresh
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard, coarse-grained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fines herbes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Cornish hens in a large ovenproof baking dish.
- Place one 1 clove garlic, 1 rosemary sprig, and several shallot quarters into the cavity of each game hen. Rub ½ teaspoon salt into the cavity of each hen.
- In a small bowl, combine mustards, fine herbes, paprika, fennel seed, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and whisk thoroughly. Coat hens thoroughly with the mixture.
- Place hens in oven and roast for 75 minutes. Check temperature at thickest part of thigh, away from the bone, it should be at least 165°F. Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: Herb Roasted Cornish Game Hens