Mary Kay Andrews's Hello, Summer Lemon Bars
Author Mary Kay Andrews's recipe for Lemon Bars celebrates the Florida setting of her latest novel, HELLO, SUMMER.
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plus 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter, 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, 11/2 cups of the flour, the almonds, and the lemon zest with an electric mixer until a stiff dough forms.
Press the dough into the bottom of an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned and set.
While the dough is baking, lightly whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Combine the remaining 2 cups granulated sugar and the 5 tablespoons flour in a separate bowl. Gradually stir the sugar mixture into the eggs. Stir in the lemon juice. Remove dough from the oven, and immediately pour mixture over the hot crust.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the lemon layer is firm to the touch. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars, dust with powdered sugar, and serve.