Traditional Red Sangria
Ruta Sepetys's Traditional Red Sangria recipe, inspired by a scene in her novel, THE FOUNTAINS OF SILENCE.
- 1/2 medium apple (cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 medium orange (rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed, plus more slices for garnish)
- 3-4 tablespoons organic brown sugar or cane sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice (plus more to taste)
- 1/3 cup brandy (plus more to taste)
- 750 ml bottle dry Spanish red wine
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Lime slices, for garnish (optional)
Add apples, oranges, and sugar to a large pitcher and muddle with a muddler or wooden spoon for 45 seconds.
Add orange juice and brandy and muddle again to combine for 30 seconds. Add red wine and stir to incorporate, then taste and adjust flavor as needed by adding more of any ingredient. Stir to combine. Add ice and stir once more to chill.
Serve as is, or with a bit more ice. Garnish with orange or lime slices (optional).Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, though best when served fresh.